Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Is life fair

Is life fair? Would you really want it to be?

In both the animal and plant world, it is quite obvious that nature has not conspired to set upon itself “rules of fairness.” However, some people believe that we are set apart from the laws of nature and that “fairness” should apply.

No plant, animal or human is born “equal” to one another. Each is unique.  GMO (genetically modified organisms) shoots a hole in that statement, but while GMO takes away the uniqueness, it doesn’t instill in the organisms “fairness.” Or does it?

If life were truly “fair,” then everyone and everything would die at the same age, in the same way and in the same amount of suffering. Anything short of that is unfair.

Not even the promise of an afterlife or heaven can right the “wrongs” of the unfairness of life. If someone dies unexpectedly and in a horrible, unnecessary way whether it be at the hands of a murderer, rapist or just plain bad luck of a disease or an accident, the promise of an afterlife holds no equalizing remedy for the unfairness of death or suffering. At least not for me. What about you?

Think of it this way: A baby born, then dying immediately, and a 90 year old having lived a full life can each share in the “joys of heaven” yet their lives on earth were in no way equal and never will be. I don’t see how the idea of an afterlife or heaven holds any justification for what happened on earth.
Instead of focusing on death and what comes after, I choose to focus on life. I strive to  take control of my life and follow my conscience so that my actions match my sensibilities. Yes, unfairness can and will happen. There will be stumbling blocks along the way. There are no guarantees.  But I still strive to be the master of my life and those stumbling blocks will not deter me.  As I’ve heard before, once you master the rules you can break them. Once you master the skill, you can create outside the box. Once you learn how to paint, you can color outside the lines.
I want to be the creator of my own life. Don’t you?

1 comment: